Hardwood floors are beautiful, especially when they are new and well maintained. The challenge, of course, is to keep your floors looking their best for years to come. Over time, hardwood floors start to show their age through day-to-day use and changes in interior design styles.
As your floor ages, these signs are not something you want to see in your home. These signs may be in the form of scratches, dullness, and discoloring. Can you spot any of these signs in your Utah home?
If the answer is yes, then you’re probably thinking about how you can have your hardwood floors restored to their best look once again. Fortunately, professional hardwood refinishing can help restore the beautiful look that your floors once had.
With great hardwood refinishing practices from the best professionals, your hardwood floors can be brought back to life.
If you’re looking for hardwood flooring Utah, we’re proud to say that we have provided hardwood floor installs, refinishing, repairs and additions since 2001. As a dedicated flooring company, Woody’s Hardwood Flooring is your best choice in the Salt Lake City area. We can bring your floors back to life. Read on to discover more about hardwood refinishing.
What is hardwood refinishing?
Hardwood refinishing involves removing the existing finish of your wood floor and putting on a new coating. This restores the wood back to a like-new condition.
A hardwood floor is durable and beautiful. But, over the years, continual use wears down the finish with drops, spills, and grit tracked in on shoes. And worst of all, scrabbling claws of family pets.
However, the damage caused does not have to be permanent. Real hardwood floors can be refinished. This is done by carefully sanding a paper-thin layer off the top and then sealing it with three coats of clear polyurethane finish.
Hardwood refinishing returns the floor back to a like-new state. It will also allow for a contemporary finish that better fits your home’s décor and lifestyle.
You don’t have to remain with a dull, worn-out floor and who would really want to? By hiring a professional to restore the initial look of your floor, you can continue enjoying the comfort of your home.
How refinishing a wood floor can improve your Utah home?
As one of your home’s biggest assets, hardwood floors can improve the resale value of your home when properly installed and maintained. Hardwood floors, when looking their best, are known as a major factor when selling your Utah home. You will be able to sell your home faster and for more money when you have professionally finished wood floors in your home.
Hardwood flooring has long been the preferred flooring choice among home buyers. so taking care of this asset naturally improves the look, function and value of your home.
The National Wood Flooring Association surveyed a majority of real estate agents who said that houses with hardwood flooring are easier to sell. They also sell for more money, more quickly. The majority of home buyers are simply willing to pay more for a home with hardwood flooring.
You may get some interest from home buyers if you have worn-out floors with a dated finish. However, they may put in a much lower bid than you wish because they will need to refinish the floors once they’ve purchased the home. Choose a refinishing company who only uses high quality products and has the experience and knowledge needed to do the job right, at a competitive price. you will be able to attract home buyers willing to pay your asking price.
The trend towards hardwood flooring Utah keeps growing year after year. It is a natural choice for it’s rich look and feel. However, as allergies and asthma are on the rise, the number of home buyers requiring hardwood flooring has increased as families move away from carpeted floors.
Hardwood flooring is a smart investment not only because real wood looks beautiful and feels luxurious, but they are also easier to clean and maintain. Hardwood floors are known to last for decades and decades in both residential and commercial locales.
Refinished hardwood floors add more elegance and natural charm to any room in the home. But this is only true when they make sense from a functional and fashionable point of view. Their natural beauty creates a visually warmer and welcoming feeling within your home.
Whether you have a traditional or contemporary design in your home, wood flooring offers style and versatility. This allows you to decorate and redecorate without having to perform very expensive renovations.
Refinishing your solid wood flooring improves your Utah home much more than laminate. And, of course, just by refinishing, your hardwood floors will last a lot longer than laminate floors. Wood floor refinishing will make your home look more attractive, cleaner and more spacious.
Refinishing your hardwood helps keep it more durable. If your hardwood is old, then your home will also look old. Refinishing allows us to give a new look, but also add a new, stronger finish using the latest technologies and product lines. In this way, we can help prevent hardwood floors from getting scratches, dents and other damage.
If the hardwood flooring in your Salt Lake City UT home is badly scratched up, you should have it refinished professionally. Find a company that has years of experience and provides superior service. This winning combination will make your hardwood flooring look good as new and show your home at its best.
Do you have to sand your floor to refinish it?
Refinishing your floor involves sanding away the paper-thin layer off the top and then adding a coating material on your floor. Therefore, sanding must be done. All wood flooring projects require different levels of sanding. Ideally, using a dust free sanding and refinishing professional is best.
It is recommended to consult a professional regarding your wood flooring project to identify the necessary tools to complete your project. A professional will determine the best sanding option for your flooring project and they will sand with the grain.
Refinishing your floor means that you’ll sand multiple times. This is something that cannot be done by the use of just one grit of sandpaper and sanding over your floors one time. This means it will take at least four passes, each with a progressively finer level of sandpaper to fully refinish most old floors. To accomplish this, you need the right tools and the knowledge and experience of how to use them.
A hardwood flooring refinishing professional will determine the perfect grit starting pass for your floor. This decision is nearly impossible to determine without the experience of a professional. Remember that every floor is different and the condition of your floor will determine how it will be sanded. You can see that there is a fine art and craftsmanship when it comes to sanding your floor.
Why refinish your existing hardwood floor?
Hardwood floors are an elegant and timeless addition to any home, but all floors are subject to wear and tear over time. Hardwood refinishing can be daunting to try and tackle on your own if you’re in Salt Lake City, Utah area.
Woody’s Hardwood Flooring can do a great job. We can handle your wood floor refinishing project with expertise and ease. Professional hardwood refinishing can restore the initial shine of your floor.
There are several reasons to consider refinishing your hardwood floors:
- Aesthetics: A hardwood refinishing can restore the elegant and classic design to its original shine and beauty. When wood flooring gets old, many patterns become discontinued, but refinishing restores the patterns and thus can raise the value of your home.
- Price: Your hardwood floors may be aged and damaged, but refinishing is less expensive than replacing your entire floor. This task is best left to professionals who have the skills and the tools to get the job done efficiently and within budget. Calling in your local flooring experts is always your best bet for the integrity of your floors and your own piece of mind.
- Longevity: Hardwood floors are durable, but with years of usage, they can wear and tear. Refinishing can dramatically extend the life of your floor. Additionally, this can save you the costs associated with replacement and will keep your floors looking great for long.
- Value of Your Home: Refinishing your wood flooring will increase the value of your home. When you plan to sell your house, refinished floors are very attractive to potential buyers. This allows you to set a higher price for your home.
- Failing the Water Test: It is important to check your hardwood floors every once in a while, to make sure they’re sealed well. You can perform a test by pouring a tablespoon of water on your floor, especially in an area that looks worn. If the water pulls into droplets without seeping into the wood, the floors are still sealed well. If the water seeps into the wood, you should get your floors refinished. The faster the water soaks in, the more urgently you need to have the refinishing done.
- Extensive Staining: If you have kids, stains become part of life. It is less likely that you will prevent the stains entirely, so having a realistic maintenance plan is best. At some point stains on your hardwood floors can be too much to deal with. And if you’re considering selling your house, you have to try to get rid of the stains as much as possible. Your best bet to getting rid of all the stains is to refinish your floors.
- Change of Style: Sometimes refinishing can be done if you just want a change of style. You don’t have to replace your hardwood floors to change the color of your flooring. If your floors are in good shape, you only need to change the color by refinishing your existing floors. This will save you money as well as improve the resale value if you can retain the original flooring.
How long does it take to refinish hardwood floors?
This is one of the most common questions homeowners ask. This is a great question as this of course affects the cost and amount of time that the project will affect your living and/or workspace.
The length of time it takes to refinish hardwood flooring depends on the coat of finish. Specifically, what type of polyurethane you use. There is oil-based polyurethane and water-based polyurethane.
In general, it usually takes 3-5 days to refinish hardwood floors with an oil-based polyurethane. If you’re using water-based polyurethane, it takes about 2 days to refinish hardwood floors. The latter floor finish dries faster and is often the preferred choice if you’re in a hurry, and sometimes it can solve your time challenges.
Should I refinish my hardwood floor or replace it?
Many homeowners with hardwood floors tend to ask is they should refinish their hardwood floor or replace it with a new one. Well, this depends on several factors including the condition or age of your hardwood, the price tag of your current hardwood and your budget.
In general, however, it is almost always less expensive to refinish your hardwood floors. Replacing your hardwood floors involves a few costs such as paying for additional wood, installation sanding and ripping up and hauling away existing wood. If portions of your wood flooring are damaged, probably through stains, you can refinish them and it will look all new.
In some cases, you will be able to replace a damaged section of floor, such as this one due to water damage, and then sand and refinish all of the flooring for a consistent look and feel.
If your floors are very old and have been refinished many times, it may be time to replace them with new ones. By old we mean that your floors have been there for decades and refinished more than five times.
Also, if you want to change the species of your wood, you may consider replacing your wood flooring. In the majority of homes in the US, you will find wood flooring made of oak because of the look and graining of oak. However, you can achieve a new look and finish simply by refinishing your existing floors.
What are the best/worst wood floors for refinishing?
There are both the best and worst wood floors for refinishing. Describing wood floors as best or worst for refinishing depends on the type and condition of your wood flooring. The truth is not all hardwood floors can be refinished.
The best hardwood floors for refinishing are those that have common problems that can be addressed and fixed without replacing the entire floor.
The worst type of wood floors for refinishing are those that have structural damage that can only be addressed by ripping up the floor and replacing it. Severe flooring damage such as ugly stains, warping, chipping and termite infestation, is worst for refinishing, and a replacement would make more sense.
What can I do to prepare my home for a hardwood floor refinishing project?
Once you have scheduled your hardwood floor refinishing project, you can prepare your home for the hardwood refinishing Utah project:
- Remove all furniture and rugs.
- Take down picture and wall hangings or items on shelves.
- Remove clothes, shoes and other items from closets in the project area.
- For kitchen refinishing project, remove refrigerator and stove.
- Cover doors, vents, windows and surfaces with plastic sheeting and painters’ tape to prevent dust from traveling all over your house. Woody’s provides dust free hardwood floor sanding, so if you are using our services, you can skip this step entirely.
- Make arrangements for your pets and kids.
So, whether you are living in Salt Lake City or surrounding areas such as Salt Lake, Draper, Bountiful, Herimon, Blockdale, West Jordan, Payson, Park City, Spanish Fork, Provo, South Jordan, Orem or Sandy, Utah, Woody’s Hardwood Flooring is your go-to flooring company.
Hardwood floor refinishing in Utah is a time-consuming project that requires skill and attention to detail. It can protect this valuable part of your home, give it a new shine, or both.
If your floors require refinishing or professional installation or flooring repairs, reach out to Woody’s Hardwood Flooring. We do our utmost to make wood floor refinishing as easy on you as possible. Book your free consultation and quote today or visit our flooring store in Murray, UT!